Energizing Spaces Fund
How to Apply
How to Recognize Enmax
How to Get Reimbursed
Frequently Asked Questions
– Appliance Quotes
– Things to consider when choosing LED bulbs
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
The Energizing Spaces Fund was created to help ensure that Calgary’s community spaces can continue to enhance our neighbourhoods for many years to come.
To support the important role that community centres play in improving neighbourhood life in Calgary, ENMAX, in collaboration with the Federation of Calgary Communities, is excited to announce the Energizing Spaces Fund!
Starting in 2015, Federation of Calgary Communities community association members were able to apply for funding to purchase new energy-efficient electrical kitchen appliances for their community centres, to replace old energy-sucking ones.
In 2016, the program expanded to include applications for LED lighting upgrades for community association outdoor lighting and outdoor ice rinks. Click here for an information sheet on things to consider when choosing LED light bulbs.
In Calgary there are over 150 community associations and 100 community centres. These facilities are the heart of our communities and provide Calgarians with a place to gather, play, learn and create memorable experiences.
Complete the appliance application here
Complete the LED lighting application here.
If you are applying for both appliances and lighting you will need to complete both separate applications.
Please Note: The program has changed to ONLY accept applications for outdoor lighting and/or outdoor ice rink lighting upgrades. The program no longer accepts indoor lighting upgrade applications.
To be considered eligible for Energizing Spaces funding community groups must:
- Be a member of the Federation of Calgary Communities
- Hold a current lease or license of occupation with The City of Calgary
- Be a society in good standing
- Have board approval to participate in the program
- Understand this is a replacemenr program, and grants are reimbursed and don’t include disposal of old appliances or lighting
- Apply for ENERGY Star energy efficient electrical appliances. Please note: natural gas appliances are not eligible for this Fund.
- Apply for up to 100% of the cost of the appliances to a maximum of $10,000 per application per year
- Submit only one application per year
Please note: Pre-purchased appliances are not eligible for reimbursement. Appliances must not be purchased until funds are awarded.
- Have a board motion indicating support to participate in the Energizing Spaces Fund.
- Get two quotes for the Energy Star appliances desired.
Complete the online appliance application here or the LED lighting application here.
Important: if you are applying for both appliances and lighting you must complete both separate applications.
- Wait one month after the application deadline for a reply from the Federation.
- Display the ENMAX logo on your website
- Publish ENMAX editorial content in your newsletter from time to time
- Recognize ENMAX at your AGM
- Put the ENMAX provided decal on new appliances
- Use supplied ENMAX factoids around your building
- Purchase your approved appliances
- Submit the receipts to the Federation of Calgary Communities no later than the third Monday of the month
- Please Note: Energizing Spaces Fund recipients must submit reciepts within (6) months from the date the recipient letter was sent.
- Tell us about your purchase with pictures, stories, poems, etc.
- Let us know if you see energy savings so we can let ENMAX know their contribution!
Can we buy new appliances for new spaces or is it a replacement program?
Energizing Spaces is a replacement program for energy sucking appliances. The goal of the program is to replace old appliances with new energy efficient models to help save on energy bills. Anything over 10 years old will have priority in our funding decisions. Pre-purchased appliances are not eligible for reimbursement. Appliances must not be purchased until funds are awarded.
Are only kitchen appliances eligible?
No, any electrical energy sucking appliance is eligible, whether located in the kitchen, bar or other public area.
Is there a list of appliances to choose from?
No, as we want to leave it up to your community to select based on your specific needs. Appliances being requested should however be Energy Star rated.
How do I find out how old my appliance is?
Visit appliance411.com and put in your appliance's serial number and other information to find out the age.
Coast Appliances – can offer competitive rates for community associations
North Location: Bay 10, 2151 – 32 Street NE
Click here to read a letter from Coast Appliances with useful information on replacing appliances
Danny Perla or Jeremy Janik
South Location: 6880 – 11 Street SE
Click here to read a letter from Trail Appliances with useful information on replacing appliances
Western Refrigeration – for commercial appliances
1232 – 36 Avenue NE
And other appliance providers in Calgary.
Click here for an information sheet on things to consider when choosing LED light bulbs.
How many applications can we submit?
Federation members are eligible to submit one application per year, up to $10,000. The Federation will bring all applications to the table following each deadline and funding decisions will be made based on the highest need for that particular deadline date.
How much funding is available?
A total of $75,000 is available. We will provide about $35,000 in funding for each deadline date.
Why did the Rink Lighter program end?
Prior to discussions about the Energizing Spaces Fund, ENMAX made the decision to the cut the program as they invested about $16,222.80 into Calgary; an average of $216.30 per community. Additionally, not all communities were eligible for the program, or had ice rinks. ENMAX felt they could provide a bigger impact and invest more into the community with a different type of program.
Who do I contact if I have questions?
Click here to contact us with any questions you have,
|Organization||Appliance(s) or Lighting||Total|
|Glamorgan||Outdoor rink lighting||$7,324|
|Inglewood||Outdoor facility lighting||$2,583|
|Good Companions 50 Plus Club||Commercial dishwasher||$9,427|
|Deer Ridge||Ice rink lighting||$7,980|
|Huntington Hills||Exterior facility lighting||$8,321|
|Marlborough Park||Commercial refrigerator||$3,452|
|Willow Ridge||Commercial refrigerator||$3,192|
|Bowness||Two commercial ranges||$9,248|
|Winston Heights-Mountview||Two commercial refrigerators||$5,870|
|Albert Park/Radisson Heights||Commercial dishwasher||$4,787|
|Marda Loop||Commercial refrigerator||$4,497|
|Cambrian Heights||Commercial dishwasher||$5,213|
|Chinook Park/Kelvin Grove/Eagle Ridge||Refrigerator||$8,345|
|Millican Ogden||Two refrigerators||$1,312|
|North Haven||Commercial dishwasher||$3,989|
Energy Provider of Choice for the Federation of Calgary Communities