Energizing Spaces Fund
Proudly supported by:
What is the Energizing Spaces Fund?
Because centres are at the heart of our communities!
The Energizing Spaces Fund was created to help ensure that Calgary’s community spaces can continue to enhance our neighbourhoods for many years to come.
To support the important role that community centres play in improving neighbourhood life in Calgary, ENMAX, in collaboration with the Federation of Calgary Communities, is excited to announce the Energizing Spaces Fund!
The Energizing Spaces Fund is a reimbursement grant for Federation members to replace old energy sucking electric appliances with new, energy efficient models, and to upgrade old outdoor facility or ice rink lighting to LED fixtures. Applicants can apply for up to $10,000 per application, per year.
In Calgary there are more than 150 community associations and 100 community centres. These facilities are the heart of our communities and provide Calgarians with a place to gather, play, learn and create memorable experiences.
To be considered eligible for Energizing Spaces funding community groups must:
- Be a member of the Federation of Calgary Communities
- Hold a current lease or license of occupation with The City of Calgary
- Be a society in good standing
- Have board approval to participate in the program
- Understand this is a replacement program, so funds are reimbursed and don’t include disposal of old appliances or lighting
- Apply for ENERGY Star energy efficient electrical appliances, or outdoor lighting upgrades.
– Please note: natural gas appliances and indoor lighting are not eligible for this Fund
- Apply for up to 100% of the cost of the appliances or outdoor lighting to a maximum of $10,000 per application per year
- Submit only one application per year
- Remember: This is a reimbursement grant, so pre-purchased appliances are not eligible for reimbursement. Appliances must not be purchased until funds are awarded.
How to Apply
- Have a board motion indicating support to participate in the Energizing Spaces Fund
- Get two quotes for the Energy Star appliances or outdoor lighting desired
- Complete the online appliance application here or the outdoor lighting application here
– Important: if you are applying for both appliances and lighting you must complete both separate applications
- Wait one month after the application deadline for a reply from the Federation
- As this is a reimbursement grant, do not purchase your appliances or lighting until you have received a letter from the Federation
How to Recognize ENMAX
- Display the ENMAX logo on your website
- Publish ENMAX editorial content in your newsletter from time to time
- Recognize ENMAX at your AGM
- Put the ENMAX provided decal on new appliances
- Use supplied ENMAX factoids around your building
How to Get Reimbursed
- Once you have received your recipient letter, purchase your approved appliances
- Submit the receipts to the Federation of Calgary Communities no later than the third Monday of the month
- Please Note: Energizing Spaces Fund recipients must submit receipts within (6) months from the date the recipient letter was sent
- Tell us about your purchase with pictures, stories, poems, etc.
- Let us know if you see energy savings so we can let ENMAX know their contribution!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can we buy new appliances or lighting for new spaces or is it a replacement program?
Energizing Spaces is a replacement program for energy sucking appliances and outdoor lighting. The goal of the program is to replace old appliances and outdoor lighting with new energy efficient models to help save on energy bills. Appliances over 10 years old will have priority in our funding decisions. Pre-purchased appliances or lighting are not eligible for reimbursement. Appliances or lighting must not be purchased until funds are awarded.
Are only kitchen appliances eligible?
No, any electrical energy sucking appliance is eligible, whether located in the kitchen, bar or other public area.
Is there a list of appliances to choose from?
No, as we want to leave it up to your community to select based on your specific needs. Appliances being requested should however be Energy Star rated.
How do I find out how old my appliance is?
Visit appliance411.com and put in your appliance’s serial number and other information to find out the age.
What do I need to know about replacing outdoor light bulbs?
Click here for an information sheet on things to consider when choosing LED light bulbs.
How many applications can we submit?
Federation members are eligible to submit one application per year, up to $10,000. The Federation will bring all applications to the table following each deadline and funding decisions will be made based on the highest need for that particular deadline date.
How much funding is available?
A total of $75,000 is available. We will provide about $35,000 in funding for each deadline date.
Why did the Rink Lighter program end?
Prior to discussions about the Energizing Spaces Fund, ENMAX made the decision to the cut the program as they invested about $16,222.80 into Calgary; an average of $216.30 per community. Additionally, not all communities were eligible for the program, or had ice rinks. ENMAX felt they could provide a bigger impact and invest more into the community with a different type of program.
Who do I contact if I have questions?
Click here to contact us with any questions you have.
|Organization||Appliance(s) or Lighting||Total|
|Forest Lawn||Various outdoor lighting||$9,535.55|
|Whtitehorn||Ice rink lighting||$8,799.00|
|Deer Run||Stackable washer and dryer||$4,177.95|
|Organization||Appliance(s) or Lighting||Total|
|Haysboro||Ice rink lighting||$9,612.75|
|Hidden Valley||Ice rink lighting||$5,726.60|
|Pineridge||Facility and ice rink lighting||$8,184.75|
|Alexandra Centre Society||Refrigerator||$2,071.62|
|Banff Trail||Commercial refrigerator||$1,774.49|
|Capitol Hill||Commercial single door refrigerator||$5,400.15|
|Commercial double door refrigerator|
|Inglewood||Main kitchen refrigerator||$3,898.65|
|Main kitchen range 1|
|Main kitchen range 2|
|Skate shack refrigerator|
|Skate shack range|
|Range hood fan|
|Renfrew||Ice rink lighting||9,486.75|
|Organization||Appliance(s) or Outdoor Lighting||Total|
|Glendale||Ice rink lighting||$9,555.00|
|Good Companions 50 Plus Club||Freezer||$1,326.15|
|Shaganappi||Ice rinks, tennis courts, and basketball courts||$10,000.00|
|West Hillhurst||Commercial refrigerator||$2,412.90|
|Cambrian Heights||Ice rink lighting||$4,546.06|
|Dover||Commercial bar refrigerator||$3,758.99|
|Queensland||Ice rink lighting||$9,197.00|
|Thorncliffe/Greenview||Parking lot lighting||$8,112.30|
|Tuxedo Park||Commercial refrigerator||$2,793.00|
|Glamorgan||Outdoor rink lighting||$7,324|
|Inglewood||Outdoor facility lighting||$2,583|
|Good Companions 50 Plus Club||Commercial dishwasher||$9,427|
|Deer Ridge||Ice rink lighting||$7,980|
|Huntington Hills||Exterior facility lighting||$8,321|
|Marlborough Park||Commercial refrigerator||$3,452|
|Willow Ridge||Commercial refrigerator||$3,192|
|Bowness||Two commercial ranges||$9,248|
|Winston Heights-Mountview||Two commercial refrigerators||$5,870|
|Albert Park/Radisson Heights||Commercial dishwasher||$4,787|
|Marda Loop||Commercial refrigerator||$4,497|
|Cambrian Heights||Commercial dishwasher||$5,213|
|Chinook Park/Kelvin Grove/Eagle Ridge||Refrigerator||$8,345|
|Millican Ogden||Two refrigerators||$1,312|
|North Haven||Commercial dishwasher||$3,989|
Energy Provider of Choice for the Federation of Calgary Communities