Job Title: Urban Planner
Reports to: Executive Director
Working in conjunction with another planner, this position supports community associations’ role in planning by developing and delivering education and resource materials, advocating for the community role in planning, promoting good public engagement strategies, facilitating community collaboration, assisting community-based planning initiatives, and planning consultation services as required.
- Facilitate improved community volunteer participation in planning by providing enhanced training and education opportunities, and resources that support broader engagement and understanding of good planning practices
- Encourage improved community participation in planning processes by supporting volunteers through coordinating, convening and facilitating discussions among communities and stakeholders
- Facilitate planning initiatives, collaborate with City departments and represent a community perspective on City committees and engagements
- Represent the interests of the “community association movement” and future community associations through presentations to council, discussion with management level city planners and various other planning stakeholders (e.g., developers, school boards)
- Urban planning expertise
- Strong organizational, interpersonal and communications skills
- Training or experience in facilitating groups, adult education and community development
- Ability to think critically, analytically, strategically and politically
- Ability to work with volunteers, politicians, industry and City staff
- Graduate degree in urban planning or a related discipline, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Knowledge of civic affairs and public consultation practices related to planning
- GIS mapping skills an asset
- Community association experience an asset
HOURS OF WORK
35 hours per week, some evening and weekend work. This is a full-time position. A comprehensive benefits package is also offered.
HOW TO APPLY:
Send a resume and cover letter, complete with salary expectations to:
Leslie Evans, Executive Director
Federation of Calgary Communities
110 720 28th Avenue NE
Calgary, AB T2E 6R3
Deadline: Monday, January 6, 2020
Job Title: ActivateYYC Coordinator
Reports to: Executive Director
Your communications and community engagement skills will be put to the test as you engage Calgarians in ActivateYYC. As the coordinator you will develop and implement communications and engagement strategies inviting people to reclaim intersections and calm traffic while implementing tactical urbanism ideas. You will be working closely with a variety of project partners, be a great communicator, organized and a connector.
- Develop and implement a communications plan that includes social media and outreach strategies
- Develop and manage a webpage for ActivateYYC
- Develop tools to help groups work through the process
- Organize regular partner meetings to ensure consistency
- Grants coordination:
- Develop the online application and reporting system and process for ActivateYYC
- Organize and vet grant applications for review by committee
- Communicate with grant recipients
- Organize documentation for reimbursements, reports, etc.
- Organize grants committee, set dates and communicate with members
- Support Groups on the Ground:
- Support groups to complete their projects
- Answer phone calls and questions from applicants
- Develop communications (letter, grant agreement, etc.) to be sent to successful applicants
- Attend projects to capture pictures and stories to share with others
- Develop a list of learnings to help cut red tape around City approvals
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Experience with tactical urbanism or community development projects would be an asset
- Experience in communications, social media, website management
- Organizational skills; project management experience an asset
- Experience working with volunteers
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
This is student position 10 hours a week from mid-January to May; then full-time May to August (35 hours a week); then part-time September to October (10 hours per week).
$18.00 per hour
HOW TO APPLY
Email resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Deadline: Monday, January 6, 2020
Board of Directors
We are currently looking for a CPA to fill a gap on our Board of Directors
Considering a New Board Opportunity?
The Federation of Calgary Communities is currently recruiting for a prospective board member who is also a CPA. This is a volunteer position that will help you:
- Gain a sense of belonging and accomplishment
- Expand your network
- Set a positive example as a community leader
- Impact the broader Calgary community
- Contribute to a cause you care about in a strategic big picture manner
At the Federation we want you to get something back from your volunteer experience.
What is required from you?
As a member of the board you are responsible for the effective governance of the organization. You need to be prepared for each meeting by reading the materials and by participating in the conversations and decisions. The applicant would also have ambitions to be the incoming treasurer.
6-8 hours per month for a director, and 8-10 hours per month for executive directors (President, Vice President, Treasurer or Secretary).
- Commitment to the objects and work of the organization
- Lending your knowledge and skills as a CPA. Initially participating on the finance and audit committee.
- The Federation is committed to a culture of inclusiveness, equality, and diversity. We encourage applications from all individuals regardless of gender, race, heritage and physical and mental abilities.
Application deadline is January 11, 2020
Resumes should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Federation of Calgary Communities has five internal Standing Committees organized to provide support to the board of directors. A Federation of Calgary Communities board member chairs each committee, with the members being other Federation of Calgary Communities board members or interested individuals from the community at large who have skills or expertise in the following areas:
- Finance – to review current financial policies and develop policies that will meet the future financial needs to sustain a healthy organization.
- Stakeholder Engagement – to focus on communications and fund development efforts with the organization’s various stakeholders.
- Organizational Support and Advocacy – to ensure that the Federation of Calgary Communities and community associations continue to be organizations that are effective and efficient in delivering services.
- Urban Planning – to work with staff to address planning-related matters that have citywide implications and provide education and resources to community associations (note that many individual community associations have planning, transportation or environment committees and are also seeking volunteers).
- Nominations– to solicit appropriate and qualified candidates to serve on the Federation of Calgary Communities Board of Directors.
If you find one of the above committees of interest and would like to be considered as member, please contact our office at (403) 244-4111 or send an e-mail for more information.
The Federation of Calgary Communities has representation on a number of external committees with mandates related to community and the quality of life in Calgary. Staff members represent the Federation on some committees, and board members or other volunteers on others. If you are interested in our external committees, please contact our office at (403) 244-4111 or send an e-mail.
Once every 18 months, the Federation of Calgary Communities receives a license to host a Casino. It takes 40 volunteers to fill the positions for a two-day casino. There are three shift options: the DAY SHIFT is from 11:00 am to 7:30 pm, the NIGHT SHIFT is from 7:00 pm to 3:30 am, and the COUNTROOM SHIFT is from 11:15 pm to 3:30 am. If you are interested in assisting us, please call our office at (403) 244-4111 or email your name and telephone number to be included in our casino database. Since this is an annual event, we keep your information on file.
Interested in volunteering with our Urban Planners? Please send an expression of interest and a resume to email@example.com