Signal Hill is a relatively large community situated on the western edge of the built-up area of Calgary. Although the area was annexed to the city in 1956, it did not start to develop until 1986. The primary form of development in the area is low density residential. Signal Hill is part of an elevated plateau which stretches west for a distance of approximately 7 kilometres. As a result, there are some excellent views of the mountains and the Elbow River Valley. The Canadian Armed Forces used part of the Signal Hill area for training purposes in the First World War. The regiments who trained in this area had their identification numbers set, using large characters and stone as the material, into the hill side.