Parkdale is located along the north bank of the Bow River between the communities of West Hillhurst and Point McKay. Even though the City of Calgary annexed the area in 1910, it was not developed until 1948. However, there is a house dating back to 1910 situated in Parkdale, below the escarpment of St. Andrews Heights. The house belonged to Ezra Riley, son of Thomas Riley who was a successful pioneer rancher owning a large area of land along the north escarpment of the Bow River Valley. The Riley House is an excellent example of a substantial ranch farmhouse. It was originally located along Crowchild Trail in West Hillhurst, but it was recently moved to its present Parkdale location. Most of the community consists of low density residential dwellings. In addition, Foothills Hospital is situated on the hill just north of the neighbourhood. Parkdale has good access to Downtown, via Parkdale Boulevard, and to the pathway.