Montgomery is located in Calgary’s northwest. It is primarily situated on the south slope of the Bow River Valley escarpment. The area’s diverse topography includes a variety of slopes and landforms. This has led to a wide range of different housing developments, many of which offer views of the Bow River. Purchased in 1906 by James Shouldice, the community was named after his family. In 1910, he donated 100 acres along the Bow River to The City of Calgary for park space (Shouldice Athletic Park). Gradually, the community grew and came to be known as Shouldice Terrace. In 1943, some problems developed with the post office over the name, and its similarity to the town of Shouldice. After a request for a name change, the Shouldice family chose Montgomery, named after Bernard Law Montgomery of Alamein, a celebrated military leader from Great Britain who played an important role in WWI and WWII. Development of the Montgomery area dates back to the 1940s.
Montgomery was its own town prior to being annexed to the City of Calgary in 1963. Shouldice Arena and Shouldice Memorial Pool offer a variety of recreational opportunities to residents, as do the area’s green spaces and new creative playground in Shouldice Park, built in 2002 as a Days of Caring Project by the United Way and The City of Calgary. There are two public school in the area, one elementary and one junior high