The Coach Hill/Patterson Heights committee is located in Calgary’s southwest. Coach Hill was annexed in 1956 and development began in the late 1970s. It is a mixed residential development, containing single detached dwellings, townhouses and apartments. The area got its name because it is located along Old Banff Coach Road, which was once used by stage coach travelers heading to Banff.
Patterson Heights was first developed in the 1980s. Prior to then it consisted primarily of individually owned acreages. There are two landmarks in Patterson Heights. The first is the CFCN tower, which led to the area as being known originally as Broadcast Hill. There is also a historic brick house in the area that was the original home of the Crandel family, who owned the first brick factory in Alberta. The factory was near the Brickburn Railway Station in present day Edworthy Park. The Crandel house was later purchased by the Patterson family, for whom the community is named.
Coach Hill/Patterson Heights offers easy access to downtown via Bow Trail. Because of its elevation, there are also excellent views in the area. The community centre, located along the Old Banff Coach Road, is surrounded by ample green space complete with a playground, soccer pitches, a baseball diamond and an outdoor rink. he community center is always busy with a variety of programs including yoga, moms and tots, line dancing, Celtic dancing, Tae Kwon Do, Senior’s bridge, baton classes, Girl Guides and Brownies. The Girl Guides also work within the community to maintain garden and greenspace, and aid in community cleanup. Coach Hill/Patterson Heights shares sports programming with the neighboring community Strathcona/Christie. Coach Hill/Patterson Heights also organizes a number of special events each year, including a popular Stampede breakfast.