Cliff Bungalow-Mission Community Association

Community Association Boundaries

North: 17 Avenue*
East: 1 Street; Elbow River
South: Elbow River
West: College Lane; Royal Avenue; top of Hope Street and Cliff Street   escarpment; Hillcrest Avenue; Elbow Drive and 5 Street
City Quadrant: SW

*Overlap with Victoria

Community Established

go to top ^

Cliff Bungalow – 1907
Mission – 1900

Community Description

go to top ^

The communities of Cliff Bungalow and Mission are located in Calgary’s SW, near the downtown core.  Both communities have a rich history in Calgary.

Cliff Bungalow was originally owned by the Canadian Pacific Railway in the 1870s.  It was annexed by Calgary and subdivided into residential communities between 1906 and 1912.  In 1935, the character of the neighbourhood was changed when it was rezoned to permit the building of apartments.  Cliff Bungalow is now a mixture of older homes and low level apartment buildings.  Cliff Bungalow contains the 4th Street commercial district.  Western Canada high school is also located within the area.

In 1883, Fathers Lacombe and Leduc homesteaded two quarter sections of land that included the site of present day Mission.  A small French speaking community began to build in the area in the late 1880s.  At this time, Mission was referred to as Rouleauville after two brothers: Chief Justice Charles B. Rouleau and Edourd, who founded the Holy Cross hospital.  However, beginning with the arrival of an Irish bishop at the local parish, the Francophone community began to be displaced.  Its name was changed to Mission after it was annexed to Calgary in 1907.  There are both public and separate schools in the area, including St. Mary’s High School.

The Cliff Bungalow – Mission community association attempts to guide development of the area, ensuring that it remains low density and restricting the construction of buildings over three stories.  The community association was also responsible for the creation of the 4th St. Lilac Festival, Calgary’s largest street festival.  Cliff Bungalow – Mission is close to numerous restaurants, shopping facilities as well as the Bow River and Lindsay Park.

Schools

go to top ^

Western Canada Senior High – Public
St. Mary’s Senior High School – Separate
St. Monica Elementary & Junior High School – Separate

Demographics

go to top ^

Information available online at the City of Calgary community profiles site.

Community Association Information

go to top ^

Provincial Society Registered Name: Cliff Bungalow – Mission Community Association
Provincial Society Registered Date: November 29, 1978
Federal Charity Status-Registered: No
Facility Located at: 2201 Cliff Street SW *Community Use Only*
Facility Phone Number: Call the the Federation office at (403) 244-4111 for a contact   number.
Facility Fax Number: None
Community Association Website: www.cliffbungalowmission.com


View Larger Map

Please call the Community Association directly to obtain information on availability, registration and costs.

Community Association Facilities

go to top ^

*Community Use Only*

Main Hall Licensed Capacity: 110 Meeting Rooms: Yes (Capacity:12)
Wheelchair Access: No Stage: No
Gym: No Sound System: No
Kitchen: Yes – Standard Outdoor BBQ: No
Lounge: No Indoor Fireplace: No
Games Room: No

Recreation Amenities

go to top ^

Operated by the Community Association. For other recreation offered by the City of Calgary visit Calgary Parks & Recreation

Tennis Courts: No Skating Rink: Yes – Outdoor
Swimming Pool: No Sports/Playfields: Yes
Hockey Rink: No Other:

Programs

go to top ^

Offered by the Community  Association:

Bingo: No Youth Justice: No
Sports: No Seniors Program: No
Fitness: No Child Care: No
Dance: No

 

go to top ^

Last Modified: May 4, 2015