Our department is dedicated to just that: celebrating communities! We work to showcase the community association movement, the largest collective volunteer movement here in Calgary, through:
Volunteer recognition, which includes:
- Hosting a yearly volunteer recognition event and presenting four community volunteer awards. Click here for information on these awards or to nominate someone!
- Honouring community association milestones and anniversaries
Promoting city-wide initiatives for community associations to take part in, such as:
- Mayor’s Annual Christmas Food Drive
- Calgary Stampede Parade
- 3 Things for Calgary
- March Community Association Awareness Month
Providing the appropriate tools and resources for our members, such as:
- Managing our website which contains a schedule of workshops and events, the Members Only resource library, and other important information regarding out organization and the community association movement.
- Creating and distributing our Get Engaged! newsletter which includes articles on Federation news, updates on various issues affecting communities, and more. Click here for a list of Get Engaged! newsletters.
- Hosting educational workshops for members on communications related subjects. Click here to view this year's workshop offerings.
Highlighting the community association movement through various communications and marketing initiatives. For example:
- Engaging both our members and the general public through social media channels such as our Facebook page, Twitter account, and YouTube channel
- Handling media relations with local media and stakeholders to build awareness on the value of the community association movement
- Creating advertising campaigns throughout the year encouraging Calgarians to be a part of their local community association, such as digital billboards and Calgary Transit advertisements
We offer two workshops each year on communications topics such as social media, newsletter writing, dealing with the media, and more. Click here to find this year's offerings and register today!
We can also come out to your organization to deliver a personalized communications workshop, for a fee. Contact us if you are interested or want more information!
We produce Get Engaged!, a bi-weekly e-newsletter that includes Federation news and updates, trends and issues applicable to member organizations, city-wide initiatives, and more.
Get Engaged! is sent from September – June to over 2,000 individuals including all community association board members, Federation partners, sponsors, donors, City Council, and more.
Click here for Get Engaged! advertising information or to view one of the issues.
We regularly update our Members Only resource library with communications related tip sheets and resources. Click here to find one today! They can always be found under section 4 – Communications.
We host a yearly volunteer recognition event to bring together community volunteers and celebrate their hard work and dedication. The highlight of the event is the presentation of four awards, to outstanding community volunteers, titled the Community Volunteer Awards.
Click here to learn about the Community Volunteer Awards and how you can nominate a deserving volunteer in your neighbourhood!
We also attends regular community events or Annual General Meetings to present the “Toole Peet Community Hero Award”. This award recognizes the many unsung heroes who make outstanding contributions by volunteering in their communities through their community association. Award applications are ongoing, and can be presented year-round.
Click here to nominate a hero in your community!
Communications & Community Relations Specialist
(403) 244-4111 ext. 204
Click here to e-mail Rebecca