Board of Directors
The Federation of Calgary Communities is currently recruiting for prospective Board of Directors positions. This is a voluntary position that will help you:
- Gain a sense of belonging and accomplishment
- Gain important skills by enhancing life- long learning
- Expand your network
- Set a positive example as a community leader
- Volunteering at this level gives you an opportunity to impact the broader Calgary community
- Contribute to a cause you care about in a strategic big picture manner
At the Federation we want you to get something back from your volunteer experience!
The application deadline is April 30, 2016. See below for how to apply.
About the Board of Directors:
The Federation of Calgary Communities Board consists of 15 positions elected by our membership of residential Community Associations. The Board generally meets once per month, without compensation to formulate and monitor policies. This is a challenging opportunity for individuals who want to promote and support the residential community associations in Calgary.
Our objectives include assisting the residential community associations by providing:
Services – Financial / Organizational Development / Communications & Marketing / Urban Planning
Community Advocacy – Representation on committees for city-wide community issues
Partners – Develop partnerships to assist us in providing services to our stakeholders
About Calgary Community Associations:
There are currently 150 active community associations (CA’s) in Calgary and in the surrounding areas. It is estimated that annually, over 20,000 CA volunteers contribute 2.4 million hours of public service, with an equivalent monetary value of approximately 28 million dollars. These volunteers operate, manage and maintain facilities and amenities valued at more than 350 million.
The Federation supports these CA’s through: Financial planning, urban planning, member services (organizational development and community), educational workshops, and celebrating communities.
What is required from you?
As a member of the board you are responsible for the effective governance of the organization. You need to be prepared for each meeting by reading the materials and by participating in the conversations and decisions.
- Commitment to the objects and work of the organization
- Lending your knowledge and skills in one or more areas: governance, policy, finance, planning, organizational development, marketing/communications, personnel and advocacy. We are currently in need of those that may combine any of these skills with specialty skills in legal, media/social relations, fund development and/or leadership skills.
- The Federation is committed to a culture of inclusiveness, equality, and diversity. We encourage applications from all individuals regardless of gender, race, heritage and physical and mental abilities.
|Area of Interest||Time Commitment||When|
|Board of Directors||6 to 8 hours per month||generally evenings|
|Casino Volunteering||8 hours once per event||day or evening shift|
|External Committees||2 to 4 hours per month||various times|
|Internal Committees||2 to 4 hours per month||generally evenings|
Responsibilities of Board Members:
- Supporting our mission, vision and objects
- Attending monthly Board meetings
- Serving on at least one Board committee
- Liaison with assigned Community Associations
- Representing the Federation of Calgary Communities at presentations and events in the community
- Commitment to enhancing the effectiveness of our residential community associations
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Knowledge and understanding of residential community associations
- Ability to plan long-term directions for the organization
- Ability to communicate and support the values of the Federation of Calgary Communities and communities
- Previous volunteer experience with a community association or other not-for-profit groups
Approximately 6-8 hours per month. Breakdown:
- 2 hours for monthly Board Meetings
- 4 hours for Board committee work
- 2 hours to attend presentations or community events.
Generally meetings are in the evenings, however, there are four (4) Saturday meetings per year.
How To Apply:
Applicants can submit a resume detailing their qualifications by email.
The application deadline is April 30, 2016
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
The Federation of Calgary Communities has six (6) internal Standing Committees organized to provide support to the Board of Directors. A Federation of Calgary Communities Board member chairs each committee, with the members being other Federation of Calgary Communities Board members or interested individuals from the community at large who have skills or expertise in the following areas:
- Fund Development – to provide a plan for financial sustainability for the Federation of Calgary Communities and to establish a resource base-both financial and material from which community associations can draw to support critical service needs.
- Finance – to review current financial policies and develop policies that will meet the future financial needs to sustain a healthy organization.
- Communications and Marketing – to develop and implement a reciprocal communication plan that will heighten awareness about the Federation of Calgary Communities and community associations.
- Organizational Support and Advocacy – to ensure that the Federation of Calgary Communities and community associations continue to be organizations that are effective and efficient in delivering services.
- Urban Planning – works with staff to address planning-related matters that have citywide implications and provide education and resources to community associations (note that many individual community associations have planning, transportation or environment committees and are also seeking volunteers).
- Nominations– to solicit appropriate and qualified candidates to serve on the Federation of Calgary Communities Board of Directors.
If you find one of the above committees of interest and would like to be considered as member, please contact our office at (403) 244-4111 or send an e-mail for more information.
The Federation of Calgary Communities has representation on a number of external committees with mandates related to community and the quality of life in Calgary. Staff members represent the Federation on some committees, and board members or other volunteers on others. If you are interested in our external committees, please contact our office at (403)244-4111 or send an e-mail.
Once every 18 months the Federation of Calgary Communities receives a license to host a Casino. It takes 40 volunteers to fill the positions for a two-day casino. There are two shifts per day:
the DAY SHIFT is from 10:30 am to 7:00 pm and
the NIGHT SHIFT is from 6:00 pm to 3:00 am.
If you are able to assist us with one of these shift requirements, please give us a call.
No experience is necessary, just a pleasant personality and a willingness to volunteer your time to assist the Federation of Calgary Communities in providing services to the Calgary residential Community Associations.
If you are interested in assisting us, please call our office at (403) 244-4111 or email your name and telephone number to be included in our casino database. Since this is an annual event, we keep your information on file.